It’s April! We’re not joking about all the accomplishments that are happening in this post.
If you missed them, check out our recent spotlights on members Frances Pauli and Leilani Wilson! If you have a recent or upcoming release, or a project you really want to talk about (and you haven’t been a Member Spotlight before, message our Bat Veep, @tralekast on Twitter), to be considered).
Attention, all members on Twitter! When making posts about your writing, be sure to use the hashtag #furrywriting so that we can keep up with your work and share it with the world!
Some highlights from last month, as featured from our FWG Member News section on the forums:
- Michael H. Payne‘s poem “The Protest: Ant Work Ethic”, which appeared in vol. 3 of Civilized Beasts, has been nominated for a Rhysling Award, which are given out annually by the SFPA.
- James L. Steele has released Dangerous Experiments, the second book in his Archeon Series.
- Madison Keller‘s short story, “The Widehorn Herd”, has been accepted to ROAR vol. 10. Also related to that anthology, Madison will be the new editor of ROAR moving forward.
- Jaden Drackus has had a story accepted to “Foxers or Friefs”, and anthology to be published by Armoured Fox Press. They’ve also been accepted to attend RAWR in June.
- Miriam “Camio” Curzon has a paper that will getting published through the new LGBT magazine at Brown University. They’ve also been accepted to attend RAWR in June.
- Alison “Cybera” Cybe has had stories accepted in the “Even Furries Hate Nazis” and “Movie Monsters” anthologies. They’ve also been interviewed by AwooNews for their series, “Realms of Valeron”. Lastly, they’ve been selected to edit a new anthology by Thurston Howl Publications, “Trans-fur-mation: Tales from Transgender Furry Voices”. See our Marketplace section for details.
- S. Park has had two short stories accepted—one to the “Even Furries Hate Nazis” anthology, as well as another into the “Burnt Fur” anthology from Blood Bound Books.
Our usual reminder to all our member that have had something exciting happen in the past month not featured here: be sure to keep up with your FWG Member News thread on the forums! Not only is this how we get our information, but these threads are able to be viewed by any person logged into the forums. Share your achievements with the rest of the writing community!
For those of you looking to submit, keep an eye on the open markets on our website. For those of you who just forget, The Marketplace is your reminder for all things open for submissions!
Short Story Markets:
|Zooscape||Zooscape Zine||General furry Fiction||Ongoing||$0.06/word (maximum $60)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Trick or Treat: A Furry BDSM Anthology||Furry erotica featuring BDSM||May 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||The Haunted Den: Furry Ghost Stories||Furry ghost stories||June 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Give Yourself a Hand||Furry erotica featuring masturbation||June 15th||$0.0050/word plus one copy of the anthology|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Pawradiso: The Ten Spheres of Furry Heaven||furry stories based around the spheres of Heaven (in reference to Paradiso)||July 15th||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Furplanet||The Reclamation Project||Furry stories in a shared, post-cataclysmic future||August 31st||$0.0050/word plus one copy of the anthology|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Trans-fur-mation||Furry stories with strong trans pride themes||November 1st||$20.00 plus one copy of the anthology|
FANG Vol. 10 will be updated on our paying markets page shortly, once the theme has been announced. We can tell you, however, that submissions will open on May 1st, 2019.
- Thurston Howl Publications is open to novel/novella submissions, with no planned date for submissions to close.
Special Events and Announcements
While most of these are the same announcements as last month, we feel that they are still relevant and should be repeated.
Goal Publications/Fanged Fiction has announced that they will be opening for novel/novella/Pocket Shot submissions on July 1st, 2019. Look forward to that!
Australian publisher Jaffa Books has announced that they will be closing their doors at the end of 2019. Thank you to Jay for all you’ve done with it, and we hope this gives you a chance to work more on your writing!
ROAR editor Mary E. Lowd has announced that, after finishing up the current volume, she will be handing the reigns off to Madison Keller. Thank you Mary for doing such a great job with the anthology, and we look forward to seeing what Madison brings to the table.
FANG editor Ashe Valisca has decided to hand the project to Sparf, who will be assisted by Kyell Gold. Thank you, Ashe, for your hard work with this series, and we wish the best of luck to the new editors.
Our forums are open to all writers, not just full members of the FWG. Check them out here and join in on the conversation. While you’re there, check out how to join our Slack and Telegram channels. Before joining any of these, though, we ask that you please read up on our Code of Conduct! With all the negative going around in the world these days, both furry and non-furry, we want to make sure the guild feels like a safe place to all its participants, free of threats and hate speech.
We have two weekly chats, called our Coffeehouse Chats! Our first one is Tuesday at 7:00pm EST in our Slack channel, and our other is Thursdays at Noon EST on our forums in the shoutbox on the main page. Both of these chats feature writers talking about writing, usually with a central topic. As with the above, these chats are open to both members and non-members, though you must be registered for the forums.