Thanks for your interest in joining the Guild!
You can join as a full member if you meet one of the following requirements:
- You’ve had one short story, poem, or novel published in a paying qualifying market
- You’ve had two short stories or poems published in a non-paying qualifying market
- You’ve had a self-published work sell 25 or more copies priced at 99¢ or above within a 12-month period
- You’ve had a self-published work net $200 or more in author earnings within a 12-month period
Stories must feature anthropomorphic characters or themes for membership qualification. The protagonist doesn’t have to be furry, but at least one major character should be.
A “qualifying market” is any publication (print or online) that has an editorial process: that is, an editor selected your story via an open submission process or solicitation. If a publication accepts all submissions (for example, you’re in a writing group which prints a collection of its members’ works), it doesn’t count. Edited anthologies, magazines, and convention program books do count.
Self-published works require some kind of statement of revenue, such as Amazon sales reports; contact us if you have questions. Note that net author earnings means the amount of money you, as the author, make on your book, not the cover price. Works available for free do not count toward membership qualification. (Works available for free through Kindle Unlimited or a similar revenue-sharing program, however, can qualify if they meet the net author earnings qualification.)
In all cases, the FWG reserves the right to determine whether a market is qualifying, and whether a self-published work meets basic common sense standards (e.g., available for sale in one or more major ebook stores, appears to have ever been bought, contains actual prose that appears to have gone through at least one copy editing pass, and so on).
The following kinds of publications do not qualify for FWG membership:
- comics and graphic novels
- games and interactive fiction
- story commissions
- writing Patreons or other patron-driven works
- stories on free archive sites (unless they are reprints from qualifying markets)
We may establish criteria to accept one or more of the above kinds of works in the future.
How to Join
If you meet the above criteria, please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Verifiable details of your qualifying publications:
- the name of your work and where it’s been published
- a link to the publisher’s site and/or a store listing for the anthology, magazine, or novel
- if it has not been published yet, a copy of the contract
- if it is self-published, a sales report
- Information for the FWG Member Directory:
- the name you wish to be listed under
- a bio for the directory, including social media and web links if you wish
- a photo of you and/or artwork of your persona
If you have any questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that it can take some time to reply, especially for new membership approvals.
Associate membership allows guild participation for specific individuals who, while not primarily fiction writers themselves, have made key contributions in the field of anthropomorphic literature, such as editors and publishers. Associate memberships can be approved without the above publication requirements. Please note that these memberships will be approved on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the individual’s contributions to the writing community and the genre of furry literature. If you believe you qualify for an associate membership, please send an email to email@example.com with your information.