Thanks for your interest in joining the guild!
You can join the Furry Writers Guild as a full member if you meet either of the following requirements:
- You’ve had one short story, poem, or novel-length work featuring anthropomorphic characters or themes published in a paying qualifying market; or
- You’ve had two short stories or poems featuring anthropomorphic characters or themes published in a non-paying qualifying market.
By “qualifying market,” we mean a venue—magazine (print or online), convention program book, small or large press—that involves an editor who’s selected your story for publication via an open submission process, agented submissions, or solicitation. Self-published works, including works posted on personal websites or non-reviewed archive sites, can’t be considered for membership qualification.
We’re sorry, but comics and graphic novels do not count as qualifying works.
We’re looking into setting up membership criteria for self-published novels, likely based on net revenue for a single title over a certain period. If you’re interested in this, please join the FWG Forums—which are open to everyone interested—where more information will be posted when it’s available.
How to Join
If you meet the above criteria, please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Verifiable details of your qualifying publications: the name of your story and where it’s published, ideally with a link to the publisher’s site showing a table of contents for an anthology/magazine, the purchase page or “coming soon” page for a novel, or something similar. If that’s not available, a copy of the contract would be accepted.
- The name(s) you want to be listed under in the FWG Member Directory.
- A bio for the FWG Member Directory, which can include a photo of you (or artwork of your persona). This can be in the body of the mail or in an attachment.
If you have any questions, including whether a particular story or market qualifies you for membership, send an email to the above address. Also, check out the FWG FAQ.
Please note that it might be up to a week before you get an email response. We apologize, but the FWG is a volunteer operation.
In addition to regular membership for writers, the guild also offers associate memberships. Associate membership allows guild participation for specific individuals who, while not primarily fiction writers themselves, have made key contributions in the field of anthropomorphic literature (such as editors and publishers). Associate memberships can be approved without the above publication requirements. Please note that these memberships will be approved on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the individual’s contributions to the writing community and the genre of furry literature. If you believe you qualify for an associate membership, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your information.