It’s February! This may be the shortest month of the year, but with the lack of a blog post last month, this certainly won’t be our shortest post of the year!
We will be re-restarting out Member Spotlights starting on February 15th, where we will be featuring our own Mary E. Lowd! Look forward to that coming soon, as well as other spotlights coming at the end of February and middle of March.
Attention, all members on Twitter! When making posts about your writing, be sure to use the hashtag #furrywriting so that we can keep up with your work and share it with the world!
Some highlights from last month, as featured from our FWG Member News section on the forums:
- Huskyteer and Kyell Gold co-authored a story called “Chasing Her Story” in the conbook for this past Midwest FurFest. If you have a copy, make sure you check it out!
- Madison Keller had a story featured in the recently-released “Slashers” anthology by Thurston Howl Publications. They also had a story accepted to “The Furry Cookbook” (also by THP), a rom-com called “Bucking the Trend”.
- Joel Kreissman had a story called “Ancient Infections” accepted into THP’s “Purrgatorio” anthology.
- JFR Coates‘s anthology “Furry Trash” was released from Rabbit Valley just in time for the close of 2018.
- S. Park released their first short erotica under pen name “A. Rhiannon”. You can find it on Amazon or Smashwords.
- Mary E. Lowd, along with being our next Member Spotlight, had a short story, “The Otter’s Mermaid”, come out in “Furry Trash”. She also had two short stories released in “Empyreome”, entitled “The Ugly Sapling” and “Katelynn and the Hummingbird“.
- Frances Pauli‘s newest “Hybrid Nation” short story has been released on Amazon. They also have a story entitled “Big Bird” in the recently-released “Jackal Who Came in From the Cold“.
- Alison Cybe has a handful of updates for us this month! They have a short story collection called “Sovereigns” that will be released later this year from Blue Rose (https://blueroserpg.com/). Their short story “The Greatest Steak” was accepted into THP’s “The Furry Cookbook”. They have completed the first draft of their cyberpunk series “Cybera – An Erotic Cyberpunk Thriller”, all the chapters of which are available on their FurAffinity page. They’ve begun to post their out-of-print stories to their website. The latest book of their “Tales of Monsterotica” series, called “The Drag Queen of the Opera“, has been released, while the first book of that series, “The Castle of Count Shagula”, is available in audiobook format.
Our usual reminder to all our member that have had something exciting happen in the past month not featured here: be sure to keep up with you Member News thread on the forums! Not only is this how we get our information, but these threads are able to be viewed by any person logged into the forums. Share your achievements with the rest of the writing community!
For those of you looking to submit, keep an eye on the open markets on our website. For those of you who just forget, The Marketplace is your reminder for all things open for submissions!
Short Story Markets:
|Zooscape||Zooscape Zine||General furry Fiction||Ongoing||$0.06/word (maximum $60)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Even Furries Hate Nazis||Furry stories against Nazism||February 15th||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Movie Monsters||Stories featuring monsters that have/could be in movies||March 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Armoured Fox Press||Foxers or Fur-iefs?: The Furry Underwear Collection||Furry erotica featuring underwear||March 1st||$0.0050/word plus one copy of the anthology|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Sensory De-tails||Furry stories relating to strong animal senses||April 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Trick or Treat: A Furry BDSM Anthology||Furry erotica featuring BDSM||May 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||The Haunted Den: Furry Ghost Stories||Furry ghost stories||June 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Give Yourself a Hand||Furry erotica featuring masturbation||June 15th||$0.0050/word plus one copy of the anthology|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Pawradiso: The Ten Spheres of Furry Heaven||furry stories based around the spheres of Heaven (in reference to Paradiso)||July 15th||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
- Thurston Howl Publications is open to novel/novella submissions, with no planned date for submissions to close.
Special Events and Announcements
Jess E. Owen will be a Guest of Honor at the upcoming Texas Furry Fiesta! She’ll be signing books and participating in writing panels. She’s well-versed in the art of self-publishing, so this would be a great chance to learn!
It’s award nomination season! The Leo Awards just wrapped up nominations. You have until February 16th, 2019 to nominate for the Ursa Major Awards, and until March 15th, 2019 to nominate for the Coyotl Awards. If you’re eligible to nominate, go do so!
Our forums are open to all writers, not just full members of the FWG. Check them out here and join in on the conversation. While you’re there, check out how to join our Slack and Telegram channels. Before joining any of these, though, we ask that you please read up on our Code of Conduct! With all the negative going around in the world these days, both furry and non-furry, we want to make sure the guild feels like a safe place to all its participants, free of threats and hate speech.
We have two weekly chats, called our Coffeehouse Chats! Our first one is Tuesday at 7:00pm EST in our Slack channel, and our other is Thursdays at Noon EST on our forums in the shoutbox on the main page. Both of these chats feature writers talking about writing, usually with a central topic. As with the above, these chats are open to both members and non-members, though you must be registered for the forums.