Welcome back to Furry Book Month (or Furry Booktober), as well as the FWG Blog!
Yes, it’s been quite some time since we’ve done one of these blog posts, but new VP Sean Gerace of Ottercorrect Literature Services and Goal Publications/Fanged Fiction (that’s me!) is resuming these, as well as our Author Spotlights and Title Spotlights—both of which will resume next month. Our blog post will be resuming its monthly status.
For the last couple weeks of last month we had a vote circulating to members, the primary goal of which to come up with entry requirements into the guild for those that are exclusively self-published. The results? Our president will be sharing them once the vote is all tabulated.
First, some highlights from last month, as featured from our FWG Member News section on the forums:
- Frances Pauli had a story come out in the Wind in the Willows edition of Non-binary Review. The story will be featured and possibly dissected on the Alphanumeric Podcast, coming up in the near future.
- Allison Thai had a story accepted to Ombak: a magazine for Southeast Asian speculative fiction, their first pro sale!
- Hakuzo Sionnach’s latest novella, “Of Foxes and Spiders”, has been released on Amazon.
- Mary E. Lowd had a few things come out in Daily Science Fiction this past month! “The Pink Agate“, “Hypercrystal Wish“, “Veins of Black, Dust of Gold“, and “The Oldest One“.
- S.Park has had their gay romance novel about were-horeses, Stallion Assassin, accepted by JMS books.
- Lisa Timpf has had both a furry story entitled “Gone” and a poem entitled “What Really Happened” released in New Myths, Issue 44. Their story “Roxy” and poem “Fidelis Reinvented” will be released in their Passages anthology, coming soon. They will also have their story “The Open Road” and two poems (“Moonlight” and “A Cat’s Confession”) appearing in From a Cat’s View by Post-to-Print Publishing.
- Cybera Wolf is republishing their LGBTQ+ comedy with Deep Desires Press’s YA imprint, who are also publishing the fifth and sixth books in their “Tales of Monsterotica” series.
Three of our members have also been announced as upcoming convention guests of honor! Kyell Gold will be one of the guests of honor at this year’s Midwest FurFest, Frances Pauli will be featured at the next Furlandia in May, and Mary E. Lowd has recently been announced as a guest for the inaugural Furvana, starting this time next year.
To our members that have had something exciting happen in the past month not featured here: be sure to keep up with you Member News thread on the forums! Not only is this how we get our information, but these threads are able to be viewed by any person logged into the forums. Share your achievements with the rest of the writing community!
For those of you looking to submit, keep an eye on the open markets on our website. For those of you who just forget, The Marketplace is your reminder for all things open for submissions!
Short Story Markets:
|Sofawolf Press||HEAT||Erotic furry stories||October 14th||$0.01/word + one copy of the finished title|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Purrgatorio||The ten regions of Mount Purgatory —a followup to Infurno and Seven Deadly Sins||October 15th (Sloth and Avarice only—rest are closed)||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||The Furry Cookbook||Furry stories featuring a food or beverage item||November 1st||$10/story + one copy of the anthology|
|Goal Publications||The Daily Grind||Furry stories featuring coffee||November 14th||$0.0075/word + one copy of the anthology|
|Fanged Fiction||Thrill of the Hunt||Furry erotica featuring a predator/prey dynamic||December 1st||$0.0075/word + one copy of the anthology|
|Zooscape Zine||Zooscape||Excellent furry stories||N/A (continually open at this time)||$0.06/word (maximum $60) for original, $20 for reprints|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Species: Bunnies||Furry stories featuring bunnies||January 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Breeds: Bunnies||Furry erotica featuring bunnies||January 1st||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
|FurPlanet||Inhuman Acts 2||Furry noir stories||February 1st||$0.0050/word + one copy of the anthology|
|Thurston Howl Publications||Even Furries Hate Nazis||Furry stories against Nazism||February 15th||One copy of the anthology (non-paying)|
- Goal Publications is open as of today for general-audience “Pocket Shots”, which are novelettes from 15k-30k words. There is no planned date for submissions to close.
- Fanged Fiction is open as of today for 18+ “Pocket Shots”, which are novelettes from 15k-30k words. There is no planned date for submissions to close.
- Thurston Howl Publications is open to novel/novella submissions, with no planned date for submissions to close.
Special Events and Announcements
Furry Book Month has begun, and a lot of our publishers have special promotions going on right now! If you’re a publisher or author with a promotion not listed here please email fwgblog[at]gmail[dot]com with your promotion so we may add it.
- FurPlanet will take 10% off all orders with code FBM2018, and any order over $100 will receive a free book up to $20 in value.
- Bad Dog Books is offering 20% off all books—excluding sale items—with code FBM2018. In addition, all issues of ROAR, FANG, and other selected anthologies will be 50% off.
- Fusselschwarm, the biggest German/European distributor, is offering 15% off all English anthologies, novels, and novellas ordered via email (order[at]fusselschwarm[dot]net) for the month.
- Goal Publications/Fanged Fiction is offering 15% off all books, both print and ebook, excluding sale and clearance items, with promo code FBM2018.
Goal Publications author, Jako Malan, is also running a drawing for the sequel to his award-winning title, reWritten. Check out this page for the full details, and win a chance to be a part of a major scene!
- Thurston Howl is offering $3.00 off of all furry orders.
- Jaffa Books will be taking 10% off of all ebooks.
- Ottercorrect Literature Services will be taking 10% off all new projects for FWG Members with contracts signed in the month of October.
- Rabbit Valley is giving 20% off orders of $50.00 or more with the coupon code FurryBook2018 during checkout.
Our forums are open to all writers, not just full members of the FWG. Check them out here and join in on the conversation. While you’re there, check out how to join our Slack and Telegram channels. Before joining any of these, though, we ask that you please read up on our Code of Conduct! With all the negative going around in the world these days, both furry and non-furry, we want to make sure the guild feels like a safe place to all its participants, free of threats and hate speech.
We have two weekly chats, called our Coffeehouse Chats! Our first one is Tuesday at 7:00pm EST in our Slack channel, and our other is Thursdays at Noon EST on our forums in the shoutbox. Both of these chats feature writers talking about writing, usually with a central topic. As with the above, these chats are open to both members and non-members.